Icehouse Skalica

    Icehouse Skalica

    In 1632, a brewery was established in the town of Skalica, together with an icehouse. The icehouse was located opposite the Franciscan monastery. It was used for the storage of ice. According to the records from the Skalica archive, the icehouse ceased to exist in 1866. The Skalica icehouses were dug in the eastern slopes of the Calvary hill, leading slantwise to the ground to prevent the ice from melting. The ice was used not only by the brewery but also by butchers that chilled their meat here.

    The complex of town icehouses and cellars is a prominent evidence of the modern history of Skalica urban economy and an important monument. The icehouses are formed by vaulted cellars, dug into the subsoil. These are made of bricks, connected by stairs and corridors. The longest cellar is 20 metres long. 

    Nowadays, there is no ice in the icehouse. The icehouse was turned into a medieval-style restaurant, serving Slovak meat specialties. The restaurant is currently closed.

    Fotogaléria