This is one of the best known and most visited castles in the Small Carpathians. You can't miss it – it captures the attention even from afar. It looms above the surrounding plain with the pine forests of the Army district Záhorie and is one of the most popular places for an outing.
History of the castle
The history of the castle dates way back, to the 13th century. It was established in 1256 to 1273 as a royal border fortress built by Detrich, son of the Bratislava reeve Kunt. In the 14th century, it belonged to the dominion of Matthew Csák of Trenčín. After his death, it was governed by the royal castellans until the end of the century. It was rebuilt into a Renaissance fortress in the 16th century. The last battle was fought here in 1705-1707, causing major damage to the castle and leaving it abandoned. Over time, only ruins remained. The biggest damage occurred in the 20th century when almost the entire residential tower collapsed and one of the prominent features of the castle – the eastern castle tower – fell down on the courtyard.
The surroundings of the castle are interesting from an archaeological point of view, too. There were settlements around the Plavecký castle already in prehistoric times, as demonstrated by the well-known archaeological site near the castle – Pohanská from the Neolithic and the Hallstatt culture. One of the largest Celtic oppida was built here. The ruins are easily accessible.
There are two caves near the castle – Plavecká and Pohanská cave that are, however, closed to the public. The Plavecká cave is open only once a year, usually at the end of the year, on New Year's Eve.